As part of my weekly commitment to write an article that is an offshoot from my eBook Proverbial Success Principles, I really had to pause and think of what lesson I wanted to share this week. And with the new teachings and revelations that my family continues to implement, this principle I believe is one of the biggest principles that we need to truly understand.
It’s this question: “Do you have an attitude of gratitude?” If so, what are you grateful for? The follow up question to that is: “Do you CHOOSE to be happy or do you wait to FEEL happy?”
Every day, I encounter people offline and online and with all the uncertainties happening around us, it’s inevitable that you will come across people who are disgruntled, frustrated, fearful and anxious. It only takes a teeny trigger and they blow up with an unexplainable reaction! These nasty negative emotions are so evident with people lately…unhappiness, hatred, rage…
I am not saying we should never allow ourselves to feel negatively when we need to. All I am saying is that it is possible for us to have some control over our emotions by being aware of the state of our heart. For the past 2 years, I have gone through a roller coaster of emotions that is part of this long learning curve I chose to take on when I made a decision to transition from being an offline entrepreneur to how to become an effective online marketer.
When I would feel an onset of frustration and disappointment, my tendency was to wallow in it and have a “pity party” for myself. Now, know that when I am feeling anxious and discouraged, what I need to do is transition from a place of ungratefulness to a place of gratitude.
How does one do that? Here are 5 Things to Help You Keep An Attitude of Gratitude:
1) Make a list of what you’re grateful for daily. Have a journal if you can’t remember them. Memorize that list… have that become a part of your make-up. When you start feeling discouraged, review your list and it’s amazing what that does!
2) Replace entitlement mentality to a responsibility mentality. When we expect to be entitled to things, there is more opportunity for a let-down. Teach yourself to be responsible for your own actions. It will help you take ownership and it will lead the way for how you will react to set backs and disappointments. I believe it was Marshall Sylver who said: “to gain control, you must relinquish control”.
3) Do you have the habit of comparing yourself with others? This is a big TRAP! If you continue to compare yourself with others it’s going to be a challenge for you to be grateful for your gifts! Be yourself – you have your own target audience who are willing to hear from and be loved by you!
4) Are you CHOOSING to be happy or do you wait to FEEL happy? Happiness is a choice. Don’t wait to feel happy as that might never come. Instead, make a decision that you will choose to be happy for the most part!
5) Remember and memorize this mantra from Joyce Meyer which I have consistently applied in my day to day life: “Something good is going to happen to me today and I can hardly wait to see what God has in store for me today!” Don’t you think this sounds much better than “Another day, another opportunity to be miserable…?”
Gratitude is an attitude and it can be learned… what are you waiting for, make your list now and start writing everything that you’re grateful for now. You’ll quickly realize that the glass was truly half full along…you just thought it was half empty….
No related posts.